The Original Mackinac Island Butterfly House and Insect World “Road to Reopening” Statement
The Original Mackinac Island Butterfly House and Insect World has been preparing to reopen for the 2020 season. Our opening has been delayed due to Covid19 and unforeseen construction. The construction was a blessing in disguise, giving us an opportunity to remodel portions of the Butterfly House & Insect World. In addition, we have been working diligently to create comprehensive guidelines and protocols, influenced by the recommendations of state, county, and city public health officials, to gradually welcome back staff and visitors, albeit at reduced capacity.
The Original Mackinac Island Butterfly House & Insect World is open to the public as of June 27th.
We are implementing the following measures in the interest of public health:
- We are requiring the use of face coverings for all visitors and staff.
- To allow for proper physical distancing, we will be operating at 25% capacity or less. Our staff will monitor the number of visitors in our galleries and public spaces.
- We have installed signage throughout the facility to encourage and remind visitors to practice physical distancing.
- Separate entrances and exits to each space will be clearly marked and staff will facilitate and monitor the process.
- We will adjust the flow of visitors by keeping the entrance doors locked and admitting one family at a time. Stickers will be placed on the ground, outside of the facility, to help facilitate social distancing and queuing.
- We will create adequate space between workstations, and we will continue to allow support staff to work from home.
- We have installed Plexiglas screens at the front desk and sales desks to serve as an additional barrier between employees and visitors. Floor decals will indicate 6-foot spacing throughout the garden, Insect World, and sales area.
- We are installing more hand sanitizing stations and instituting heightened cleaning protocols, including frequent environmental cleaning and disinfection of “high-touch” door handles, exhibits, and surfaces.
- We are implementing “cleanliness patrols” in all exhibition galleries and other public areas.
- Hands-on exhibition components and other “high touch” experiences will remain closed, including animal encounters.
- We will measure the body temperature of employees before they enter the museum; employees exhibiting a temperature over 100º F will be sent home. Upon entering the building, employees must wash or sanitize their hands.
- We will be holding Facebook Live videos giving demonstrations so high risk guests can enjoy the Butterfly Experience from the comfort of their homes.
- The Gift Shops will hold Facebook Live “Show and Tell Merchandise” videos and will offer curbside pick-up for items purchased from the Downtown Gift Shop and The Butterfly House Gift Shop. Call 906-847-3972 to inquire about or for contactless purchases.
We will continually monitor the efficacy of these guidelines in real time and make adjustments as needed.
Travel and Nature Centers are essential to our cultural life and we remain committed to continuing our mission of providing a world-class experience for the Northern Michigan Community. For those who may not yet feel comfortable returning, we will continue to expand our online engagement opportunities. At the same time, we will continue to develop additional onsite protocols, and provide other support and necessary supplies for those who do.
Robert Gale, The Original Mackinac Island Butterfly House & Insect World Owner
Ruth St. Onge, The Original Mackinac Island Butterfly House & Insect World Manger
For further information:
Ruth St. Onge