The Original Mackinac Island Butterfly House & Insect World
The Original Mackinac Island Butterfly House is the 1st of its kind in Michigan, and the 3rd oldest LIVE butterfly exhibit in the United States. The world-renowned facility has 1800 sq ft of tropical garden filled with hundreds of live butterflies from four continents.
Visit our fairy tale Butterfly Garden where beautiful butterflies of every imaginable size and color fly freely to classical music and the sound of falling water, fluttering and lighting on fragrant blossoms and the enchanting waterfall that centers the garden.
After a relaxing visit with the butterflies, take some time to check out Insect World, where you will be amazed at the size of the insects that live in the tropical regions of the world. On display are 14″ walking sticks and 6″ centipedes, along with giant beetles and spiders. The current record setter for the world’s “heaviest bug” is also found here.
Kids of all ages will love the interactive displays and our “Nature Pond” filled with fish, turtles, and toads.
The Original Mackinac Island Butterfly House and Insect World exhibit is THE attraction to see on Mackinac Island every summer. So don’t be left out of the fun! Join the thousands of visitors that take their turn enjoying this marvelous exhibit every season.
Some things to remember:
- We are wheelchair-friendly.
- Use the bathroom before visiting as we do not have a public restroom.
- Stroller parking available, due to USDA regulations strollers in the garden are not permitted.
- Photography is encouraged, but due to the size of our garden, tripods are discouraged as it is hard for wheelchairs to move around them. We ask that you please leave tripods at home.
- Sorry, but we cannot allow cats, dogs (except service dogs), or any type of animal in the exhibit areas.
- You will see nature’s most beautiful insects so close you could reach out and touch them, but please remember not to!
- The last ticket sale and admittance is 30 minutes prior to close.